Thursday, September 18, 2008

No time to breathe

















I hate that I haven't been able to update this more, but, as we knew it would be, this thing has pretty much been go, go go. But I don't think any of us have minded. I think it's safe to say we're all having the most amazing time.
Monday we toured Peterborough Cathedral (built in a 100+ year span between the 1100s and the 1200s) and then later that night gave our first presentation to a Rotary club. Tuesday we traveled to Leicester, where we've been ever since.
We started our Leicester experience with a luncheon Rotary meeting that involved a tour of Norman & Underwood (a lead and glass works company) that allowed us to have a go at welding (which Joe excelled at) and glass cutting. Quite interesting. We gave our presentation for a second time at this meeting.
We spent Tuesday night, our first night in Leicester with our respective host families, getting acquainted with them and with the area. It's a lovely, lovely area. Then on Wednesday we visited Foxton Locks -- canal locks and gates system -- and had a delightful lunch at a pub there. Colette and I explored Leicester the rest of the day.
Then last night, Eric and his host and me and my hosts gathered at the Wheatsheaf Inn, a wonderful little pub in my hosts' village. I had fish and chips for the first time across the pond! SO, SO good.

Today lent itself to a visit with Leicester's Lord Mayor (sounds important, doesn't it?) and a separation of ways to do some other various activities.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the fish and chips Mary! I'm quite jealous that you are getting some over there. There is nothing like some good fish and chips in a country that knows how to do it right!

Shannon